improving an 11-block zone with 320 households in Norristown, PA.
Habitat MontDelco has been building homes in Norristown since 1991. In 2013, we established an 11-block Neighborhood Revitalization zone. It encompasses Cherry Street, Chestnut Street, Elm Street, Oak Street, Powell Street and Wayne Avenue. Through NR, we work with 320 Norristown households. There is a 19% homeownership rate in the Norristown NR; forty-seven percent of these homeowners are Habitat partner families.
- 25 Habitat homes
- 11 Critical home repairs
- 73 External preservation projects (Habitat’s A Brush with Kindness)
- Blighted Property Review Committee. There are 18 visibly vacant properties within the NR zone. In July, 2015 Habitat advocated to have the Blighted Property Review Committee reinstated to blight abandoned properties and turn them over to the Redevelopment Authority. One year later, we worked with the residents and the Committee to get the first abandoned property in the NR declared as blighted.
- Community cleanup days
- Rock the Blocks: Annual event bringing together community residents and volunteers. They have repaired homes, painted porches and stoops, revitalized Cherry Street Park, repaired a community church, painted the Norristown Library, picked up trash, weeded and mulched, and installed smoke detectors.
Community leaders and organizations meets bi-monthly to guide and bring resources and information to the NR program.
Bi-monthly to identify local assets and challenges, work towards solutions and facilitate resident leadership.
physical property assessments
Annual assessments of homes, commercial properties and vacant properties within the NR zone to identify issues and measure progress.
- Norristown Municipal Council
- Norristown Police Department
- Norristown Fire Department
- Greater Norristown PAL
- Montgomery County Library
- Gotwals Elementary School
- The Norristown Project
- Norristown Islamic Society
- Norristown Friends Meeting
- Feed the Burbs
- Carver Center
- Norristown Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
- Christian Network Outreach United Church of Christ
neighborhood revitalization Pottstown
Improving a 6-block zone with 339 households in Pottstown, PA.View Pottstown Revitalization Zone
our other programs
Helping families set goals, learn skills, and change financial behaviors to become financially stable.
become a homeowner
Selling newly constructed or renovated homes to qualified families and individuals who meet our program qualifications.